Alerts, Closures & Other Notices
Weather-related road and facility closures may change throughout the day.
For updated road and weather information please call (865) 436-1200. Once you hear a voice, dial extension 631 for road information or extension 630 for a weather forecast.
The official Smoky Mountain National Park Service Road Information Twitter feed is on the right hand side of this page so you can get the very latest in road conditions in the Smoky Mountains.
This page was updated May 7, 2017. Information provided by the Great Smoky Mountains National Park website.
Road Closures & Projects
- Parsons Branch Road is closed.
- Foothills Parkway (unfinished section) - the entire unfinished section between Walland and Wears Valley is now closed to all public use until 2018 due to construction.
- Blue Ridge Parkway - for information about parkway closures, please call (828) 298-0398 or visit the parkway's website at http://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm.
Backcountry Closures & Warnings
- The following trails are closed to due fire or storm damage until further notice: Chimney Tops Trail, Road Prong Trail, Sugarland Mountain Trail from Mt Collins Shelter to Little River Road, Rough Creek Trail, Bull Head Trail, and the Sugarlands Horse Concessions Trails
- Bear Closures - none
- Bear Warnings (where bears are active) - Campsite 17
- Jakes Creek Trail is closed from the trailhead to the junction with Cucumber Gap Trail Monday through Friday.
- A construction project will be underway at Campsite 38 between 4/24-5/19. During weekday daylight hours, hikers may encounter noise, mechanized equipment, and experience short closures in area of Campsite 38 and on the Mt Sterling Trail. All trails and Campsite 38 will remain open.
- Scott Mountain Trail is closed from campsite #6 to Schoolhouse Gap. Campsite #6 is open.
- Backcountry Campsite 11 is closed
- Cosby Nature Trail was impacted by a flash flood, resulting in a bridge being washed out. While the trail remains open, hikers need to be prepared to ford the stream.
- Rabbit Creek Trail - the bridge where the trail crosses Abrams Creek is out. This is a wide crossing that may be deep during high water events.
- Boogerman/Caldwell Fork trails - several bridges are out. No schedule for repairs at this time. Trails are open, but hikers need to be prepared to ford the streams.
- Enloe Creek Trail - the footbridge crossing Enloe Creek has washed out. The steel bridge crossing Raven Fork is not affected.
- Trails throughout the park have downed trees due to severe storms. Please see the list of closed trails above. Other trails may have areas that are difficult to negotiate due to downed trees.
- Boat shuttles to and from Hazel Creek when lake levels are low are from the Ollie Cove Trailhead on the Hazel Creek embayment. Ask the shuttle service about this when making a reservation to be dropped or picked up. This is due to a bridge that is out of service on Hazel Creek and adds about 1/2 mile to the hike. Trail signs are in place to direct you from the Hazel Creek Trail and Lakeshore Trail intersection to Ollie Cove Trail that is one mile east on Lakeshore Trail from Hazel Creek.