Elijah Oliver Place
Born in the original Cades Cove cabin in 1824, Elijah Oliver was the son of the first white settlers in the cove, John and Luraney Oliver. Elijah Oliver would grow up on the family homestead, but would move away with the rest of his family and his wife before the start of the Civil War.
In 1865, he bought the family property back and built a cabin of his own there in 1866, setting up a "strangers room" on the front porch to accommodate travelers who needed food and lodging. This may have been a reflection of Elijah Oliver's deep religious beliefs, as he served as a deacon and clerk of the Cades Cove Primitive Baptist Church for 37 years.
The cabin was actually a "spring house," meaning it was built over a trickling spring to protect the family's water supply. This could also serve as refrigeration for milk, butter, eggs, and other perishables. A smokehouse, corn crib, chicken coop, and barn also stood on Elijah Oliver Place. The cabin itself is the most remote in Cades Cove, located approximately one-half mile from the main road.
Next Stop: Cable Mill & Visitor Center